Skip to main content
Mila Strong
Viewing Mila Strong
Mila Strong

Mila Strong

$327.40 raised of $5,000.00 goal

Dec 11, 2021 to Jul 10, 2022
CausePage Closed


Copy CausePage link

Share this CausePage

NOTE: If you don’t see an image when using the sharing link above, still go ahead and share! The image will display on the social media platforms when shared.


Sweet Mila was born with a very obvious hemangioma on her abdomen. Around 2 weeks old we thought she has some sort of infection or clogged tear duct. After many failed rounds of antibiotic drops and treatments. We finally came to the conclusion she had an eyelid hemangioma. We were referred to the Vascular Speciality Clinic at the University of Iowa, where we started oral propranolol for treatment. Initially we had very good results with her eye. More recently her eyelid hemangioma has increased in size. Despite increasing her dose significantly, her eyelid hemangioma remains the same. We saw Pediatric Ophthalmology and the University of Iowa about 2 weeks ago. They determined the hemangioma is putting significant pressure on Mila's eye. This has now caused an astigmatism and they are worried she will soon stop using vision in that eye and develop more complications. She has significant ptosis of the eyelid. They recommended the next step if the increased dose of propranolol not working to be steroid injections directly into the hemangioma in her orbital cavity. Upon this recommendation we consulted a specialist through the Vascular Birthmark Foundation who strongly advised against steroid injections due to significant complications that can arise. Chance of vision loss in either eye upon the first injection is 50%. This is not a risk we are willing to take. Dr. Fay works with Dr. Warner the Vascular Birthmark Institute in New York City. This group is one of few in the county routinely removing orbital hemangiomas. We need to get to New York twice, our initial consult and surgery for Mila. Unfortunately, this would not be covered by insurance. We are asking for anyone’s help in getting us the 1020 miles to New York City to help us in finally actually treating Mila's hemangioma, preserving her eye sight and function, and making her overall more comfortable. Any amount makes a difference. 


Thank you so much 


The Boysens 

Latest Updates

Stay up to date and follow this cause to success!

June 1, 2022 UPDATES


Mila was able to have surgery in New York in January. We are now preparing for Milas second surgery an eyelid reconstruction with plastics at UIHC. We are confident we made the right decision to stay local, versus traveling back to New York for this second surgery. But are praying to relieve some of the financial burden this will place on our family. We are so thankful for everyone’s support! Jeni + family


  • Anonymous December 22, 2021
  • Steve and Brenda Cahill December 22, 2021
  • Anonymous December 22, 2021
  • Aubrey Poole December 28, 2021
  • Steph Nederhoff December 31, 2021
  • Sarah Elsbecker January 4, 2022
  • Anonymous January 5, 2022
  • Anonymous January 6, 2022
  • Tony January 6, 2022
  • Anonymous January 6, 2022
  • Anonymous January 8, 2022
  • Stephanie Twilla January 9, 2022
  • Harper Feldman January 29, 2022
  • Emily Krall Wieseler January 29, 2022
  • Anonymous June 12, 2022

Share this CausePage

Copy CausePage link